On Tue, 7 Mar 2000, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> Ken Smith writes:
>  > >  > D 8000
>
>  >
>  > > the config.pdf needs a M line specifying a Metafont mode for an 8000
>  > > dpi device. hmm.
>  >
>  > Has anyone, anywhere, produced a document suggesting to people that
>  > using bitmaps for printers with this sort of resolution is not really
>  > a wise procedure?
>
> its some trick, isnt it, to fool dvips into doing the right thing? it
> needs a very very high resolution bitmap font to stop it playing some
> trick which I forget

That would be how rules are rendered: are they stroked or filled?
Setting the DPI that high triggers the use of the former.  I believe
that the idea is due to TVZ (Timothy Van Zandt).

Take a gander at alt-rule.pro, and the corresponding PS code that
describes which rule procedure (RV or QV) is used (which is in
tex.pro).

Tom