Mohit Tawarmalani wrote:

> I recently tried to install teTeX using 1.0 binary distribution on
> an AIX 4.3 43P PowerPC. However, when I run texconfig init
>
> I get the following error
> /local/apps7/teTeX/bin/fmtutil: 11352 Memory fault: A memory image file is
> created as "core".
> fmtutil: `pdftex -ini -fmt=pdftex -progname=pdftex pdftex.ini' failed.
>
> So I commented out pdftex an pdflatex from web2c/fmtutil.cnf and then the
> initialization succeeds dumping at least the latex format which I
> presently use. However I would like to have pdftex/pdflatex installed on
> my system too.
>
> Anyone has any idea why this might be happening? Do I need to use the
> source distribution and compile from scratch?
>
> Mohit

     I have been lurking on this list, hoping to get an answer to just
that question.  After I told my sysadmin about pdftex, he agreed to
upgrade to teTeX 1.0.  He had similar problems and he did try to compile
pdftex from the source, so far with no success.

OS:  AIX 4.3.2 PPC
compiler:  comes with the system, NOT the GNU compiler

Luckily, there are other systems I can use.  The last time this was
mentioned on this list, no one replied to the question, "has anyone been
able to install teTeX 1.0 under AIX 4.3.2?"

     If you manage to compile pdftex, or otherwise solve this problem,
please let us know how.

                                        --Benji Fisher