> the URW fonts coming with ghostscript are named n021004l.pfb (and so on).
> In teteX 1.0.2 the same URW font is named utmb8a.pfb.

Right, these files are named according to the "Berry" scheme (-> texdoc
fontname). This scheme commonly used in the TeX world and make is easier
to use some tools (e.g. fontinst).

> 1) The name 'utmb8a.pfb' seems to be teTeX specific - am I right?
> Assuming that 1) is correct:

Not strictly "teTeX". But somehow "TeX related".

> 2) Wouldn't it be better to use the ghostscript name to avoid any
>    confusion (and to make map files more portable - useful outside teTeX)?

What does this mean "more portable"? We are speaking about file names
and the "Berry names" are the most portable names (8.3 for these files
and all lowercase; strict 7bit ASCII).

These files, spread out into several directories in teTeX are not directly
usable for other programs (even if they would have their original name).
Hey, we are speaking about 1.5 MB of disk space. I do not care to have
them three times on my disk (X11, TeX, ghostscript).

Thomas