Sebastian Rahtz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote on
Tue, 1 May 2001 14:54:26 +0100

> Helen McCall writes:
 > > I agree with this. The font naming system should now be changed. The 8+3
> ..
> > Yes! Please can we have the font naming system changed?
> >

> Changed by who? this is a community, remember. The font naming scheme,
> and the equally important TDS, were the work of various ad hoc working
> groups in the early/mid 90s. The people who did the work then (Karl
> Berry, for instance, or me) are no longer available. Nothing will
> change without a very dedicated group of people taking up the
> challenge.

> There *is* no group at the head of TeX world whom you can ask to
> change things......

This is one of the joys (and frustrations) of free software.
There are thousands of dedicated amateurs (in the sense that they do
it for love rather than for money) out there working on various bits
of LaTeX, developing packages, ... but no overall cooordinator.
Even the people who look after the TeX archives do it only as a
part-time job - look at the messages we sometimes get from them.
We should all be very thankful that we have a very good system
available at virtually no cost.

Has anyone noticed that Germany seems to lead the way in finding
people who do these sorts of things?  Ebefhard Mattes (emTeX) and
Thomas Esser (teTeX) have made thousands (hundreds of thousands?) very
thankful for simplifying the installation of TeX/LaTeX

> sebastian

Ken Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]