Hi Thomas,

Hopefully some other users benefit from this discussion.  I think the main
issue was to create the format files "texinfo.fmt" and "pdftexinfo.fmt".

First, I had to generate the format files
$ tex -ini texinfo.ini
$ pdftex -ini pdftexinfo.ini

One can say
$ tex -progname=texinfo fn.texi
but it is enough to say
$ tex fn.texi
and it works.

$ dvips fn.dvi -o
generates the ps output.

Also, pdftex generates the pdf output.
$ pdftex fn.texi

One final issue --- texi2dvi which is equivalent to "tex fn.texi, texindex
fn.??, tex fn.texi, tex fn.texi, dvips fn.dvi -o" does not work.  You just
have to stop it with ^C or ^Z and no output at all.  Any idea why texi2dvi
does not work at the time that texinfo is now working?

Thanks very much.

George