From:   Phil S. [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent:   Saturday, 26 May 2001 18:46
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        Re: PS viewers.

AFAIK, Tim Thiessen's venerable ghostview 1.5 is not being actively worked
on. However, his code base seems to have been actively mined for good ideas
in successors.

I've been using "gv" 3.5.8 by Johannes Plass successfully for a number of
years on Solaris, although it does not seem to have been updated much
recently. You can find it at

        http://wwwthep.physik.uni-mainz.de/~plass/gv/

The 2 major free desktop systems have been creating PS viewers to wrap
around ghostscript: KDE has kghostview

        http://apps.kde.com/na/2/info/id/497

while Gnome has ggv

        http://www.gnome.org/applist/view.php3?name=ggv

These all work pretty well on Linux.

If you're stuck on W2K, then you might want to consider GSView (I haven't
used it, so I can't say for certain). However, it looks pretty good and it
appears to be actively maintained.

        http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/gsview/

HTH.