>  Since my disk storage has increased from 4Gbytes to 24Gbytes, I can now
> have in parallel emTeX (which has several very useful features) and

TeXLive 6b contains parts of teTeX, but strictly speakingg, it is not
the same.

> C:\tmp>pdftex null
> This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159-pre-1.0-unofficial-20010704 (Web2c
> 7.3.3.1)
> (d:/emtex/texinput/null.tex

It seems to me that this environment is not clean from emTeX settings.

> Error: pdftex.exe (file pdftex.cfg): cannot open config file
> Besides, "kpsewhich pdftex.cfg" yields nothing, while:

You are calling kpsewhich without the proper flags. kpsewhich has no
special detection for *.cfg files and uses teh TEXINPUTS search path.
Since pdftex.cfg is not in texmf/tex//, the file is not found.

Something like
  kpsewhich -progname=pdftex pdftex.cfg
better simulates what pdftex does.

> is a difference: "kpsewhich --help" says that *.cnf are searched, but
> not the *.cfg.

When called without proper options, kpsewhich is doing the right thing
in most cases, but for the other cases, you have to be more precise.

Thomas