On 2002.04.16 11:10:29 +0200 Julian Gilbey wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 12:36:30AM +0200, Thomas Jahns wrote:
> > Hi,
> >   I use tetex-1.0.7-196 on SuSE Linux 7.2 i386. I'm trying to integrate
> > newly installed font with nfss by placing an updated ot1cmss.fd into
> > /usr/local/share/texmf, the obvious intention: override the file
> included
> > in tetex by default.
>
> This is not a teTeX-specific question; comp.text.tex would be a better
> place to ask.

I'm not sure, because I'm not well versed in the way LaTeX handles fonts.
And as the teTeX directory structure is at least somewhat different of e.g.
MikTeX, I thought this mailing list would be the first place to try.

> > So far everything works just as expected if I place
> >
> > \DeclareFontShape{OT1}{cmss}{bx}{sl}
> > [...]
>
> > But somehow I must have forgotten something, because the new fd file is
not
> > included by default:
> >
> > LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OT1/cmss/bx/it' undefined
>
> Spot the difference ;-)  (`sl' in the \DeclareFontShape, but `it' in
> the font being searched for.)

Yes, my fault. Actually in the scenario I mentioned the document includes
the same line I placed into my modified ot1cmss.fd, namely:

\DeclareFontShape{OT1}{cmss}{bx}{it}{<->sub*cmss/bx/sl}{}

I only get the "Font Warning" when the document does not include the above
line(s) or a manual \input{/usr/local/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/ot1cmss.fd}.

By now I have even replaced the file /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/ot1cmss.fd
with my modified version, but this changes nothing.

This really puzzles me. If you still feel this issue is not specific to
tetex, please tell me and I'll try to post my question on comp.text.tex
(possibly also de.comp.text.tex).

Ciao, Thomas
--
"Computers are good at following instructions,
 but not at reading your mind."