On Sun, May 26, 2002 at 09:38:59AM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:

> Ok, that settles .profile.  Now why is your advice bad, bad, bad for
> the system-wide configuration, as well?  Because we nowadays have
> Linux distributions that can be upgraded.  And /etc/profile is sure to
> be under the control of the upgrade process which will require manual
> intervention after any future upgrade once we tamper with
> /etc/profile.  For that reason, there usually is a directory like
> /etc/profile.d on most systems.  Put a file of your own in there,
> something like mytexsetup.sh and write the lines above in there.

I've never used a Linux distro so can't comment on that count. But as
far as FreeBSD is concerned /.profile and /etc/profile are _never_
tampered with either by a binary upgrade or a `make buildworld' and
`make installworld'. My beast has been through both a good number of
times and here are the files:

/

-rw-r--r--   2 root  wheel      251 Apr 21  2001 .profile

/etc

-rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel       839 Sep 18  2001 profile

Personally, I would be loath to use any OS which required
basic reconfiguration because of an upgrade.

In short, for BSD at least, Thomas Esser's advice seems to stand.

Many regards,

 Richard Mahoney

Richard Mahoney                mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
78 Jeffreys Road                        telephone:+64-3-351-5831
Christchurch New Zealand                 cellular:+64-25-829-986