On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Christopher Pinon wrote:

> Hi again,

Hi Christopher,

> I have a question about running texconfig on a console.  On one machine
> that I sometimes use (Slackware), running texconfig results in a nice
> menu of options that you can choose from.  On another machine (Debian
> Potato), running texconfig simply results in a list of options (no nice
> menu).  I was wondering what exactly is required for texconfig to
> present a menu.  I thought at first that ncurses was the requirement,
> but the Debian system has ncurses (both 4 and 5) installed, so something
> else must (also) be needed.

Look at the dependencies of the Debian package of tetex-bin (the package
that includes texconfig):

<--  snip  -->

$ apt-cache show tetex-bin
Package: tetex-bin
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.1.2), libpng2, libstdc++2.10, libz1, tetex-lib (>=
1.0.6-6), xlib6g (>= 3.3.6), tetex-lib (>= 1.0.6), tetex-base (>= 1.0-5),
ed, debianutils (>= 1.13.1)
Pre-Depends: dpkg-perl
Recommends: dialog
Suggests: lpr, gs, tetex-extra, texinfo