I wrote:

> I installed some local additions to the system wide texmf tree in
> ~~/texmf. In order to have latex pick that stuff up, I set $TEXMF to
> {$HOME/texmf,!!$TEXMFMAIN//,!!$TEXMFLOCAL//}. That results in:

While digging into this, I came accross section 3.3 in "texdoc
kpathsea" and am using $TEXINPUTS now. That works much better.

Thanks to all who helped.

While I am at it:

Thomas Esser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> warning: kpathsea: variable `TEXMF' references itself (eventually).
>
> I have seen this before. Could you please report that to
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]?

I don't get this error message on a machine with a more recent
(pretest) teTeX installation. The "production machine" still has
"LaTeX2e <1999/12/01> patch level 1" installed. Personally, I deem
this minor bug to be fixed already. I might be wrong, though.

  Roland