I ran into a problem similar to the one mentioned in the
file PROBLEMS: I got the runtime error message putbyte(255) failed
both from gftopk and mf-nowin. Recompilation without optimization
fixed the problem:

(cd texk/web2c; rm -f gftopk.o mf2.o; make CFLAGS=)

$ uname -a
SunOS knatte.nada.kth.se 5.8 Generic_108528-16 sun4u sparc SUNW,UltraAX-i2
$ gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 3.2.1

Btw. I tried to compile with Sun Workshop 6.0 but got a linking error
somewhere in pdftex. Is this a known problem?

    /Lars

--
Lars Engebretsen, PhD, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>