George White <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 21 Feb 2003
> Larger organizations (government, big companies) require that certain
> documents conform to standards, which may well include a particular font
> for the euro.  Times-Roman, etc, aren't distributed with teTeX, but they
> (or some facsimile) are commonly found on many popular systems, so it
> makes sense that TeX support them.

Please take a look and find that Times-Roman *is* already supported in TeX
in various ways:
1. dvips and pdftex can use Times-Roman available for the devices (printers,
   typesetters, Acrobat Reader);
2. teTeX, fpTeX, TeX Live, MiKTeX distributions already contain Times-Roman
   like fonts thanks to URW++ (they are GPL licensed, and used when
   embeding of the font in the output is demanded);
3. As for now the euro sign is not included in the Adobe standard
   encoding, nor in the Adobe's standard fonts set.

> I'm not in a position to know how
> organizations across the pond support the euro, but if there is a Type 1
> font that is commonly installed beside Times-Roman, then it makes sense
> for a new TeX to make it easy to use them.
>
> The other consideration is whether it is easier to make europs "just work"
> for systems that have the font or to explain why it doesn't work.

Well, I don't like to burden the latex oriented community, but we have
in the all above distributions qfonts package which contains the euro
glyph in 128 dec for times, helvetica, courier, bookman like fonts,
compatible for those provided by URW++. As those fonts are also GPL
licensed, anybody can feel free to adapt them to make "just work" as
you would like.

--
Staszek Wawrykiewicz
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]