> Assuming we don't find any show-stopping problems with the slurs
> themselves, one big issue is how they work in dviwin and other dvi
> viewers.  In my initial tests they did not show up at all in dviwin.
> However I recall seeing something about "specials" in dviwin.  Does that
> mean there is some way to tweak dviwin to display them?  I suspect not,
> in which case one will need to use a real postscript viewer to see the
> results.  For me this would pose no problem at all...I have fast
> processors, dvips takes just seconds at most, and gsview works fine.

Specials do address special dvi drivers for doing some specific jobs.
There is no standard about how they should look like etc. However, some
widely used dvi drivers like dvips (or the drivers of the emTeX
distribution in former days) have established some standard like commonly
supported specials. But there is no guaranty for any special to work with
any particular driver/viewer. Thus I guess, a solution using specials
would open up many compatibility problems giving rise to requests like
"Since I'm using viewer nnn, version xx.yy I don't see any slurs any more.
Is this a PMX problem and does any newer version of PMX solve it?"
 Anyway, for people using gsview and friends there is no problem (actually
including postscript into TeX makes extensive use of dvips-specials). And
there ara now many dvi viewers which are capable of viewing included
postscript by calling gsview as a child process. xdvi is one of them in
the un*x world. yap, coming with MikTeX, is another I think.

Bernhard