I installed the latest MikTeX on windowsxp
and used the readme file (Takanori Uchiyama) from the
musix_ps directory on the http://icking-music-archive.sunsite.dk/
(mentioned as ZIP)
Takanori Uchiyama gives an example of  batch  file to install

There are (for me) a few things to remember:

1.
Miktex has the type 1 fonts in the distribution

C:\texmf\fonts\type1\bluesky
and
C:\texmf\fonts\type1\public\musixps

I think they propably are to be replaced by new ones.

2.
the ligatures are replaced by a pound sign (in Latex)

3.
the old:
set PATH=c:\musixtex\pmx;c:\musixtex\mtx\prepmx;%path%
in windows98 must be repaced in windowsxp or 2000 by a setting in:

control panel -> system -> advanced -> environment.

(thanks to helpful people on the list)

4.
With the old(er) miktex i was able to install a musixtex.fmt
with musixtex.tex in it (much faster)

the install file musixtex.ins (edited from the distribution) was:
----
\input musixtex
%\input musixcpt
%\input musixsty
\tracingstats=2\relax
\dump
----

The initex batch file:
----
C:\texmf\miktex\BIN\INITEX.EXE &plain musixtex.ins
pause
copy musixtex.fmt C:\"Local TeXMF"\miktex\fmt
del musixtex.fmt
----

and an example of use (in a batch file):
----
C:\texmf\miktex\BIN\VIRTEX.EXE &musixtex %1.tex
----

Now it should be possible to use the Miktex wizard

start -> programs -> MiKTeX -> MiKTeX Option

to add a format file

i used these parameters:
----
compiler=tex
description=musixtex
input=musixtex.ins
----
but it did not worked out. I added a file '\input plain' in musixtex.ins
but it does not help.

Now i use TeX and edit all my (musix,pmx)files with the line
\input musixtex

Andre