Friedrich Dimmling wrote:

> Am Samstag, 27. April 2002 13:43 schrieben Sie:
>
>>Some NotEdit users requested chord notation.
>>

> Just to mention it: What I was refering to about one week ago was not tabular
> notation but the jazz leadsheet notation of giving the harmony above the
> stave, i.e. melody written out and harmony just indicated in symbolic
> notation like Eb13. For typesetting it's something like lyrics but in large
> font and preferably above the stave not to interfere with lyrics.
>
> Friedrich

Joerg, this has a lot higher priority than chord diagrams because it is
useful for creative work and useful for more people. Autodetection has a
limit, because there are two quite different approaches to writing lead
sheets.  You may be telling the accompanyist what he should play or you
may be giving an analysis of what the listener hears including the
melody, or you may be doing some combination.

For jazz chords all you need is a slash for bass notes, chromatic signs,
and of course parentheses.  The original idea was to get rid of special
signs to make handwritten lead sheets more legible.  The slash for bass
notes came later, but it saves writing a bass part so it's dynamite.

The addition of triangles is the mischief of academics, doing the exact
opposite of what should be done.  :-)