On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, Luigi Cataldi wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> >Question #2: Would anyone be willing to translate at least the PMX section
> >of this back into English? I just never found the time or energy to include
> >typeset examples in my version of the manual, but Luigi's are a great
> >contribution. I don't think you need to know Italian to do this, just PMX.
> >
> >--Don Simons
> >

> I think we have two not so tiring solution:
>
> 1) to add my (or else other) samples to the Don's PMX manual;
>
> 2) to add an appendix to the Don's manual with my or/and other samples with
> codes, without the need to add comments, but only the links to the
> paragraphs of the manual ontaining the explanations.
>
> I think the second way could be not worse, because any contributor could
> add some samples, not only about the strictly PMX, but else about
> TeX/MusiXTeX features and about typesetting tricks (a lot of hints that I
> take from this list, or from the scores on the archive, should be useful on
> this purpose). E. g. the way to add a third voices to a staff, the way to
> use a particular bar line or a strange time signature or a uncommon symbol
> and so on.
>
> Luigi
>
> P.S.
> Thanks a lot, Don and Christan, for the nice reception of my manual. I'm
> very happy!

Hi!
I think your solution 1) is not so very different from what Don had
in mind; anyway, I am right now working on just that (and making
good progress on the PMX part, at least). Nevertheless, when reading
your italian version, I find that many things are expressed much
more clearly than in Dons manual (that is simply VERY short!), so
its worth translating your text where it augments Don.

And you solution 2) is (at least as far as the work goes) not so
very different from producing a "compendium of good suggestions by
many people" --- it doesn't necessarily be edited, but could simply
be collated.

When starting out with PMX, I found the greatest problem with Dons
manual to be the lack of an index. That is tedious work, but can be
added once  we have a text with all the examples integrated.

I repeat Dons call for collaborators on this: if someone could start
with the installation part and someone else with the M-tx chapter,
we could get this thing put together in a reasonable time!!

Thanks, Luigi, for your wonderful work!

ccn.

    _|_
   / | \
   \_|_/    Prof.Dr. Cornelius C. Noack    Phones:
    _|_ __  Inst. f. Theor. Physik FB 1 office   : +49 (421) 218-2427
|  |   |  \ Universit"at Bremen         secretary: -2422
|__|   |__/ Otto-Hahn-Allee             Fax      : -4869
|  |   |  \ D - 28334  Bremen           home     : +49 (421) 34 22 36
|  |   |__/                                   Fax:  346 7872
   PhyHB                           E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                    WWW-page: www-theorie.physik.uni-bremen.de/~noack