Bob Tennent wrote:
>|A couple of places theres is a warning in the Icking Archive web
>|pages against using acrobat reader 5 for handling pdf scores. Can
>|it out of the current discussion be concluded that this warning has
>|become obsolete when the xslz20 slur font has been integrated into
>|the type 1 font distribution or do other factors play a role?

I'm not aware of any other major problems except that all versions of
Acrobat display type 3 fonts badly and so it is advisable that type 1
fonts be embedded in pdfs when these are generated.
if a pdf file can't be generated directly from the tex output dvi file, for example if type k postscript slurs have been used, then type 1 fonts should be used for the postscript intermediary score. There is a description of *one* method to do so in the info file found with my special version of the lilypond feta fonts used for typesetting mensural notation symbols, see http://icking-music-archive.sunsite.dk/software/musixtex/add-ons/readme-of.txt. A pdf file generated by ps2pdf based on that is clearly better rendered by acrobat reader than if based on a postscript file using type 3 fonts.

This can be verified
within Acrobat by clicking File -> Document Properties -> Fonts -> List All Fonts, and verifying that all fonts are Type 1.

The Acrobat reader is the most widely used pdf viewer but other viewers
such as xpdf (on Unix/Linux) and ghostscript-based viewers such as gv
and gsview are significantly faster and render type 3 fonts better than
Acrobat.
Bye
--
Christian Mondrup, Computer Programmer
Scandiatransplant, Skejby Hospital, University Hospital of Aarhus