On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 01:37:50PM +0200, Jean-Pierre Coulon wrote:

> Beside ornaments, "cue notes" are often used in separate parts of chamber
> or orchestra works, to help a musican resume playing after a loooong rest.
> . . .
> But such small notes may also have a totally different meaning: the part
> of a specific musician is written in small notes in your part, during a
> long rest of your part, or during a long, dull note. This part is
> very important for the interpretation of the work, but sometimes
> your orchestra cannot afford hiring the corresponding musician, and then
> you're supposed to play these notes, so that the interpretation doesn't
> suffer to much from this lack. These notes are called "A defauts" in
> French.
>
> Does anyone know the right English term for these notes ? Or does the
> French term belong to the mostly Italian "lingua franca" of music ? German
> term is also welcome.

Apel and Daniel's _Harvard Brief Dictionary of Music_ has an entry for
"cue", but I find none for what you call "à défaut." Likewise, Deems
Taylor's _Music Lovers' Encyclopedia_ gives only "cue." Gerou and Lusk
state:

        Cue notes may be given as guidance only, to assist a performer's
        entrance after numerous measures of rest.

        Cue notes may also be given for possible performance if the cue
        instrument is weak or missing.

        . . .

        Ossia passages and grace notes are typically notated at cue size.

An unabridged dictionary of music may be more helpful.  I do not own one.
My instinct would be to call them "surrogate notes."

--
Col. G. L. Sicherman