On Fri, 8 Aug 2003, Christof Biebricher wrote:

> The problems that arise is that the law is subject to interpretation.
> For instance, the new edition of Bach's works claims that
> copyright protection even though the works are not published the first
> time.

This is not a matter of interpretation; the new edition
of Bach's work is copyrighted precisely because it is a
_new_ edition. I.e, while the music itself is in the
public domain, the editorial adjustments and the
typesetting constitute new creative work that is
legally protected.

This same principle also explains why it is illegal to
make photocopies of reprints of public domain music:
the music itself may be free to use, the
typesetting/facsimile processing is copyrighted. So if
you want to use such music, you must do the typesetting
yourself.

 Groeten,
 Irwin Oppenheim
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]