I'm writing a piece in 4/4, so complicated that I asked for my
first M-Tx > PMX > tex compile before completing the first bar.
PMX complained.  Reason: if the last bar of a piece is incomplete,
M-Tx issues a blind meter change to make it look complete.  But
now the last bar is also the first bar.  Boiling down the problem
to a near-minimal input file, I came up with the following PMX
input file:

=========================== % ===================================
---
---
1 -1 1 4 4 0 6  0.00000 0 1 1 20 0

0
./
m3/8/0/0
da84d da1- da8 /
=========================== % ===================================

which produces

=========================== % ===================================
 This is PMX, Version 2.504, 02 Nov 04
 Opening bug.pmx

 Starting first PMX pass

 ERROR in line 8, bar 2 Pickup bar length disagrees with mtrnum0
 da84d da1- da8 /
               ^
=========================== % ===================================

I make the deduction that a meter change at the start of the first
bar is not allowed.

It has been noted before on this list that a clef change at the
start of the first bar is ignored.

Both of these represent undocumented behaviour.  A logical argument
can be made out that a meter change at this point is preposterous,
but there are situations in which a clef change is logical.

As the author of a brief PMX tutorial, soon to be revised, I am in
a quandary whether to document this behaviour.

Dirk