Hi,

You've just answered a question that I was just about to ask. I recently got a hold of Veracini's Op 2 Sonatas where he uses some made up ornaments to indicate various string strokes and accents. I've been puzzling over how to add these to a pmx file but your answer to this question has provided me with a way of drawing this images and using them as eps files.

Thanks again.

Trent

From: "Don Simons" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Typesetting music with TeX" <tex-music@icking-music-archive.org>
Subject: RE: [TeX-music] Detailed ornament variants
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 20:07:59 -0700

I'm sorry to see that no one has responded to this query. I don't have a
"fully baked" solution, but one that is something less than half-baked and
rather round-about. You could generate a separate .eps file containing just
the small staff. This could be done with pmx+musixtex+dvips+gsview. Then
using inline TeX you could insert that as a graphic into the PMX file with
something like

\zcharnote{12}{\epsffile{myepsfile.eps}}\

Somewhere you have to include

\\input epsf\

I've tested this and it works.

Now let me take off my PMX hat and put on a music publisher's hat. I suggest
that for the music of Telemann, you might be able to save yourself all this
work if you honestly ask yourself why you need to include a realization of
an ornament like this in the first place. You never said what your source
is, but I'll bet that this sort of helpful hint doesn't appear in anything
Telemann himself wrote. Baroque players were expected to insert ornaments
where appropriate. If for some reason you still want to insert this
particular ornament this way, are you going to do it in lots of other places
too? Wouldn't that make the score look pretty cluttered? Maybe you could
just add ornament symbols in parentheses.

Furthermore, except in early Italian baroque music, and especially in
Telemann, all baroque trills start above the main note, not on it. If you
put this particular suggestion into your score, you'll be suggesting
something inconsistent with historical performance practice.

--Don Simons