David Allsopp wrote

>Is there any particular reason that you're not using pdftex?

I can't speak for Jean-Pierre, but there are two reasons I don't use pdftex
at all. First, GSView works fine for me both as a previewer and as a
pdf-generator. Second, I don't think pdftex handles Type K postscript slurs
(in a test I just ran, such a slur was ignored.), and Type K is all I ever
use. Long ago I decided any PMX slur improvements would be hitched to the
type-K wagon, because in my view each of the other slur options has major
drawbacks: font based ones often look funny, and Type M postscript ones
require installation of MetaPost and generate multiple auxiliary files.

--Don Simons