Andre, that works! I'll try to build it into pmx. I think I can just have
PMX apply \loff to the \tbb*. I tested that on a TeX file and it worked. To
be honest my feeble brain is having trouble wading through the logic of the
re-definitions, but I think I can have PMX fix it without using any
re-definitions.

One other comment: I was looking in Gardiner Read for info about this. It
not real clear, but I think he's saying that for double beams, the tops
should be the same height above their notes and stems don't lengthen, but
then when you add a third beam, you add it on the far side from the notes,
adding height to the top of the beam. That is NOT how MusixTeX beams work;
every added beam lengthens the stems. Maybe I can put Read's rule in PMX as
an optional default. Any votes?

--Don Simons