Sorry, I count this as a feature, not a bug. In the header you've specified
a pickup quarter note. Then not only didn't you assign a length to the rest,
but you didn't have any measures at all following it in the first input
block. The pickup feature in PMX requires (1) explicit duration for the
notes or rests in the pickup, (2) at least one full bar following the pickup
in the first input block, and (3) no bar line between the pickup and the
first full bar. Thye only shortcoming of PMX in this area is that it doesn't
check all that stuff explicitly and stop if you break the rules.

If you REALLY want a pause symbol in a quarter note pickup bar, start the
piece out with a logical meter of 1/4 but a printed meter of 3/4, enter your
rp, then make a silent meter change to 3/4 after the pickup bar.

--Don