It means that the last character in the TeX file that is not a blank is "?",
while the TeX processor is expecting something else. If it's not causing any
problems, don't worry about. If it is causing a problem, let the list know
and someone might be able to help. Line-end characters are an ongoing
annoyance when going back and forth among different OS's.

--Don Simons