I don't know about pdflatex, but my understanding is that "latex" invokes
etex automagically.

Also, unless certain MusiXTeX commands are used or certain parameter values
exceeded, I believe musixtex.tex 1.15 can be processed with ordinary tex.

I suggest trying to compile the document the old fashioned way, first with
tex (or etex), then dvips, then convert to a pdf with gsview or ghostscript
or acrobat if you really need a pdf. I know it doesn't answer the original
question, but whether it satisfies you depends on your objectives.

Personally I'm very wary of any S/W that bypasses dvips, because I always
use postscript slurs rather than font-based (as I would recommend to
everyone), and they may not appear in the final output.

--Don