Thanks, Jean-Pierre, I think you're right. The problem came because (a) it's
a dotted rest, (b) it's one of the dotted rests that there's no MusiXTeX
command for, (c) I made a simple-minded definition in pmx.tex, (d) PMX ends
up putting the rest and the dot both inside the \hbox so it can lower them
both together. For rests that aren't dotted, or for the longer dotted rests
which are defined in MusiXTeX, PMX doesn't explicitly use the \hbox to raise
or lower them. To fix this I'll have to change PMX.

I'm surprised this problem hasn't come up before.

--Don Simons

Behalf Of