I don't know if there is any accepted convention, but you might want to have a
look a parts of Couperin's Concerts Royeaux

(http://petrucci.mus.auth.gr/imglnks/usimg/8/88/IMSLP60621-PMLP124164-couperin.pdf)

in particular Echos, p12. In this 2-line score, the lower line is for gamba and
harpsichord, as explicitly indicated at the beginning. It starts with  two
separate parts for two bars, then one part for two bars, then repeats that
pattern. All through the piece there are many such changes, and usually there
is no explicit indication that both instruments should play together when
there's just one line, but in most places it's obvious that they should.

Your plan sounds reasonable. But rare ended split section with a single note
with two stems. I'll be interested to see if anyone references any accepted
convention for this.

--Don Simons