2011/12/10 Wojtek Chemijewski <wojtek.chemijew...@gmail.com>:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to use M-Tx to typeset a couple of songs for someone who
> recently started learning to play the violin, using the same notation as her
> teacher does - placing numbers of fingers of the left hand above notes, and
> string "names" above these numbers, so the idea is for that to look along
> the following lines:
>
> U: D ~ ~ ~ ~ А ~ ~ ~ ~ D ...
> U: 0 1 2 3 3 0 2 1 0 0 3 ...
> d4 e8 f | g4 g | a8 c b a | a g | ...
> L: Lyrics ....
>
> However, two lines of text above do not seem to be supported. Is there an
> easy way to achieve what I need?

The easiest is to use superscripts for the strings.  Not quite what you want,
but maybe your violinist can accept it.

U:  $0^D$ 1 2 3 3 $0^A$ 2 1 0 0 $3^D$

Beyond that, TeX wizardry is necessary.  The first uptext word translates
to  \mtxZchar{10}{$0^D$}.  You can redefine \mtxZchar.  Trivial example:
put a paragraph containing only this:

%% \let\keepZchar\mtxZchar\def\mtxZchar#1#2{\keepZchar{#1}{$#2$}}

between the preamble and the music.  That allows you to type

U:  0^D 1 2 3 3 0^A 2 1 0 0 3^D

This modification math-izes all uptext.  Not undesirable, for the other
digits will be in the same font.  It will clash with other usage though.
But I mean it only as an example of how to set about it.

Dirk