Dear Don,

I cannot reproduce the behaviour, i rather see the error at \shake and this could be solved by putting it between {..} (for doing this i use the \relax command).

This are the tex lines from the PMX run

\pnotes{2.83}\qu c\Coda{'g}\qu d\qu e\qu f\en%
\pnotes{2.83}\qu c\coda{'g}\qu d\qu e\qu f\en%
\pnotes{2.83}\qu c\shake{'g}\qu{`d}\qu e\qu f\en%
\pnotes{2.83}\qu c\shake{'g}\qu d\qu e\qu f\en% ---> this one runs away
\pnotes{2.83}\qu c\relax{\shake{'g}}\qu d\qu e\qu f\en% --> this solves it
\pnotes{2.83}\qu c\relax{\coda{'g}}\qu d\qu e\qu f\en%

I used pmx270

Andre

==============
1 1 4 4 0 6 0 -1