Jean-Pierre--

I had to go through a lot of the same kind of logic when building PMX. It
was so long ago that I don't remember very well at all the details, so I'm
afraid I can't offer much help to you on doing it within MusiXTeX. But I do
remember that part of it involved having PMX itself calculate \elemskip for
each line by separately adding up scalable and fixed spaces in each line.
Here's a PMX source for an approximation of your example, if you'd like to
see the final result of PMX's internal logic.

--Don Simons

1 1 3 4 0 0 0 -1
1 3 20 0

.\
w3i
Ab
a13 bn cs d a bn cs d a bn cs d /
m4400
a13 bn cs d a bn cs d a bn cs d a bn cs d /
a13 bn cs d X.3 a bn cs d X.3 a bn cs d X.3 a bn cs d /