Well, I'm pleased to report that I've succeeded in going from PMX source to
an 8-page music booklet using only pmxab, etex, musixflx, dvips and pstops,
with inspiration from Jean-Pierre. One key was recognizing that his "-"
signs in the pstops options would let you do imposition on a .ps with an
arbitrary number of pages, with just one call.  Then with a 1-sided HP
Laserjet 4MV printer, I could tell it to print from the manual feed tray,
print one page, it would stop automatically and wait, I could take the page
just printed and flip it over and feed it, it would print the next page on
the back of the first, and then just keep repeating that process. Another
key, as I mentioned below, was to insert the TeX for the cover page into the
PMX source file. I did not have to use Olivier's rotation trick in pstops,
but it did take a little trial and error in ghostscript and in the printer
driver inputs to get the orientation right for the whole document.

--Don

I'd