| In my Windows 7 system, this example works if I change ".\" to "./" as I
| suspected it would.
|
| 1. Does anyone know of any existing windows systems where this would not
| work?
|
| 2. What if PMX were to internally replace all "\" in path strings with "/"?

Yes, that will certainly work.
The Windows file system API supports both "/" and "\" as directory separator.

Only on the application level, where "/" already may have a different meaning
(e.g., the command line interface) and in Windows Explorer, a "/" is not
recognized as such. But I've never had problems with the "/" recognition when
I e.g. pass command line arguments with file names to Windows programs
(including Microsoft programs).

--      Peter Vanroose,
        Leuven, Belgium.