Just a few months ago I had worked out how to make an arbitrary gap in a
staff, using pstricks. It's a sign of old age that I had forgotten about it,
but I did recently stumble across it and adapted it to the end of a final
staff. You may have to fiddle a bit with the height and width tweaks before
invoking \gap.

--Don