Bob Tennent wrote:
>  >|I've more commonly seen this using OpusTeX - it's usually  >|a sign that
> either the .mx2 file is out-of-sync with the
>  >|.mx1 file, as Bob noted.
>
> either ... or what?

Oops - the "either" was from an earlier edit which I clearly forgot to delete!

>  >|Deleting the .mx1 *and* .mx2
>  >|file should clear it, otherwise there's a bug.
>  >|
>  >|If memory serves, from writing TeX-based version of  >|musixflx many years
> ago, turning that case into an  >|elegant error message is quite hard.
>
> Jean-Pierre, David: I've not been able to reproduce this "feature". If you
> can give me a more detailed hint on how to reproduce it, I can try to have
> musixtex.lua avoid the problem or produce a suitable message. The script
> currently removes any existing basename.mx2 file before a first pass and
> removes both mx1 and mx2 files after processing (unless intermediate files
> are to be retained).

I _think_ that you can make it happen if you've added extra music to a TeX file
resulting in additional systems and attempt to do a first pass without deleting
the .mx2 file first. As I say, I'm fairly sure I'd only seen it with OpusTeX
(and so probably an older/diverged three-pass system).

Best,

David