>|The following MusiXTeX file works OK as is, but if line
 >|15 is replaced by line 16, it fails. The only thing
 >|that changes is the argument of \centerbar within the
 >|\atnextbar command, from \liftpause0 to \pause. I would
 >|very much appreciate having one of the TeXperts explain
 >|why it works in one case but not the other.

I haven't tried to work out why \liftpause0 would make it
work, but I've found that both versions work if

  \setstaffs11%
  \setclef10%
  \def\nbinstruments{1}%
  % Bar count 2
  \stoppiece\startpiece

are replaced by

  \stoppiece%
  \setstaffs11%
  \setclef10%
  \def\nbinstruments{1}%
  % Bar count 2
  \startpiece

Presumably, the \atnextbar processing at \stoppiece depends
on the current staff/clef/nbinstruments parameters.

Bob