I've produced a new version of PMX (2.90) that lets you put a blank gap at
the end or in the middle of a system. It was very challenging and still has
known deficiencies, but is at a stage where I would very much appreciate
having as many people as possible try it out and report any bugs you find.
Until it shows up on WIMA, you can get a zip of the distribution here:

www.pchpublish.com/bbbxv/pmx290.zip

The file BlankGaps.pdf explains the new syntax.

The known deficiencies are (1) It cannot yet be used in the first system of
the score; (2) It doesn't yet properly handle automagically inserting extra
space when needed for accidentals or other items in the gapped system if it
is too crowded (this can temporarily be addressed by manually inserting gaps
with the "X" command); (3) You can change the barline symbol from the
default one at the end of the segment before or after the gap with an "R"
command option on the last note in voice 1, but that command MUST be the
very last one before the group-ending "/".

Once again, please give it a workout and report any bugs or issues.

--Don Simons