Rodolfo et al--

The purpose of those two commands is to adjust the vertical spacing between
systems on a page so that the distance between the bottom line of the last
staff in each system and the top line of the first staff in the next system
are all equal. \starteq must be entered somewhere in the first system on the
page and \endeq somewhere in the next to last. You would only insert these
near the end of the editing process when all the line breaks and page breaks
have been finalized.

The reason for having these is that normally MusiXTeX tries to equalize the
vertical gap between the lowest object in the bottom staff of each system
and the highest object in the top staff of the next. If either of those is a
note or rest outside the staff, that will make the space between the bottom
staff line in that system and the top one in the next larger than what it
would otherwise be. And (to my eye) sometimes that's not necessary and I'd
prefer ignoring any protruding notes when equalizing the vertical spaces
between systems.

The way the macros work is that they insert very long, invisible, vertical
struts below every system except the last, and above every system except the
first. When MusiXTeX initially sets up the page it considers those struts as
visible objects, and after stacking up the systems it finds that it is much
taller than the available space. When it scales down the vertical gaps
between staves (which are now large and equal) it leads to the desired
result.

--Don