>|Did something inadvertent happen to \doublebar in the
 >|most recent update? Some files that use that command were
 >|working prior to the upgrade, but now that command is
 >|throwing an error: Undefined control sequence.

Hi. Thanks for the report and the example, which
unfortunately was not very "minimal". But there is indeed a
bug in musixtex.tex-131 which I think only manifests when
using \doublebar in an "extract" in a latex file.

I believe the fix is to comment out line 2314 in
musixtex.tex; i.e., \let\doublebar\doublebar@II. Somehow
that line appeared between 1.30 and 1.31 but I don't recall
why.

A simple workaround for you is to use \setdoublebar instead.
Here is a more minimal example:

  \documentclass[10pt]{article}
  \usepackage{musixtex}
  \begin{document}
  \begin{music}

\instrumentnumber{1}\setstaffs1{2}\setclef1{60}\generalmeter{\meterC}\nobarnumbers\generalsignature{2}%
  \startextract
  \NOtes\zwh a\wh c\nextstaff\zwh e\wh h\en
  \doublebar%   %PROBLEMATIC!  use \setdoublebar
  \endextract
  \end{music}
  \end{document}

Bob T.