Daughters of Radon - following the Natural Trap thread

The monitoring in Carlsbad started around 1975 or 1976. The discovery of high
levels of radon in Carlsbad Caverns caught all the federal cave management
folks off guard. The "Daughters of Radon" concern resulted in the first ever
Cave Management Symposium in Albuquerque (October 1975). This was arranged by
the Cave Research Foundation and the National Park Service to provide federal
managers - Park Service, BLM, and Forest Service with guidance. For the first
time on a national level federal resource managers became aware that caves
really needed managing, and that cavers were a significant source for useful
information.

The initial concern was for the federal employees who spent the majority of
their time underground.

This meeting happened to coincide with the first real Balloon Fiesta in
Albuquerque. Sandy and I drove up from Alpine, Texas. Our kids were both small
and were tremulously impressed with the "flying dragons" roaring fire in the
sky over our heads. So were most of the symposium attendees. I remember Pete
and Karen Lindsley, Will White, Jack Hess, and all the CRF leadership present.

DirtDoc