Human migration into North America

I have missed a number of the discussions on SW Cavers and the Texas remailer,
but this is largely a response to Donald. Hope I am not stepping on some

Donald, this has been a side interest of mine since my anthro days at UNM, but
I don't keep rigorously abreast of the latest confirmed data. There has been
lots of conjecture, discussions, and fist-fights over the ideas of how and when
the Native Americans got here. The last decade has brought the advent of DNA
identification and that, coupled with more accepted dating of archaeological
sites and linguistics studies are starting to give us some answers. The bottom
line is that most of the major ideas of how humans spread from Asia start to
make sense to me. The only major theory that fails is the idea that there was a
significant influx from the east, across the Atlantic: the so-called "
Solutrean Theory". Any input from that source does not seem to have had an
impact on the Native DNA, prior to the coming of Europeans after 1492. Lots of
the story remains to be unraveled, but the following seems to be shaking out.

The August 12, 2013 issue of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Science
(referenced in the Sept 21, 2013 issue of Science News)

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/dna-reveals-details-peopling-americas

The article stated that mitochondrial DNA combined with more traditional
archaeology (especially language studies) pretty conclusively shows that there
were three major times of migration of peoples into the Americas from Asia.
There were numerous individual groups that came east and south during each of
these broad periods of migration.

18,000-15,000 years ago (perhaps even a bit earlier): by sea in small boats
down the Pacific Coast line all the way to the tip of South America, spreading
inland. This seeded both North and Central America and all of South America
with humans. The South American DNA remained distinct from the DNA brought by
later migrations into North America. All the Native Americans seem to have DNA
that traces back to a child known as the Mal’ta boy, who lived near central
Siberia’s Lake Baikal 24,000 years ago. This was reported in November 20, 2013
issue of Nature (summary :
https://www.sciencenews.org/article/ancient-siberian-bones-clarify-native-american-origins).

14,000 to 10,000 years ago the opening ice-free corridor in the Canadian
Rockies allowed influx of big game hunters and other hunter-gatherers to move
south from the Arctic. This appears to have provided the dominant wash of DNA
of most North American natives, from the west coast, high plains (including the
Clovis peoples), down the Mississippi Valley to the Gulf, as well as east to
Nova Scotia, all along the east coast and (by some path) into Florida. This is
the dominant DNA stock of North American natives south of the Arctic. This
group can also trace their DNA back to Mal’ta boy, but did not make it across
Central America to South America. There appear to be distinctive differences in
the DNA between North and South America.

Starting about 4,000 years ago, modern Inuit spread east across the Arctic
(northern Canada) to Greenland.

DNA from the only well-documented Clovis burial, a baby who died some 12,600
years ago, strongly indicates that this individual represents the influx from
Asia after the opening of the ice-free corridor. The data reported in the Feb.
13, 2014 issue of Nature (summarized in the March 22, 2014 issue of Science
News
https://www.sciencenews.org/article/clovis-baby%E2%80%99s-genome-unveils-native-american-ancestry
 ) suggests that the Clovis people and all present-day Native North Americans
came from the same genetic stock. The article does not specifically relate the
Clovis DNA to the South American populations or to Naia, but I am sure someone
is busily doing this. I await the results, but it fits into the general story
that is emerging. If confirmed, this study does put to rest the idea of the
Solutrean hypothesis, that ancient Europeans crossed the Atlantic and
established the Clovis culture in the New World.

Naia, the Hoyo Negro girl who inspired the latest round of posts, fits into
this somehow. It sounds to me as if they are still trying to fit her DNA into
the above story.

Ancient Cave Skeleton Sheds Light on Early American Ancestry

5/15/2014

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-brief/2014/05/15/ancient-cave-skeleton-sheds-light-on-early-american-ancestry/#.U3d0pyhJikw

Hope this helps.

Dwight