It is always a juggling act between trying to get some things done and
trying to maintain a constructive working relationship with, in this case,
BLM.  Was BLM informed that the board of the SWR was considering a request
for information under the FOIA? Or did it just fall from the sky on the
desk of whomever? FOIA provides leverage for those wanting to force
disclosure, but if used out of the blue can create the appearance of an
adversarial relationship, which defines subsequent interactions and may not
always be in ones'  best long term interests. It's a little like a trump
card that only has value before it's played. The card of last resort, as it
were, and that is said by one who hesitates not to write critical letters
to the highest levels, and with some guarded success.

 Michael Queen