texascavers Digest 24 Aug 2013 20:54:23 -0000 Issue 1830

Topics (messages 22504 through 22516):

Re: New Invasvive Species - Raspberry Ants / aka Tawny Ants
        22504 by: Louise Power
        22508 by: Ted Samsel
        22512 by: Louise Power

Emails to Julia Germany the past couple of weeks
        22505 by: Julia Germany
        22506 by: Stefan Creaser
        22507 by: Fofo
        22509 by: Charles Goldsmith
        22511 by: Louise Power

Re: Salt Dome drains Lake Peigneur, LA 1980
        22510 by: Butch Fralia

Twitter related
        22513 by: David

Re:Carapace failure
        22514 by: dirtdoc.comcast.net
        22515 by: Louise Power

Update ver 3.5
        22516 by: Gill Edigar

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
Oh heck, I was hoping the guy's name was Tawny Crazy.

Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 23:59:21 -0500
From: george.nincehel...@gmail.com
To: germa...@aol.com
CC: Texascavers@texascavers.com
Subject: Re: [Texascavers] New Invasvive Species - Raspberry Ants / aka Tawny
Ants

I've just been trying to sort out the name.

Apparently "Rasberry" (not "RasPberry") comes from the name of the exterminator
who discovered them.

I'm not clear if "Crazy" is part of the preferred common name or not.  "Crazy"
would seem to refer to their erratic behavior.

Why the change to "Tawny Crazy"?  I've no idea.

Here's another link helpful link:
http://urbanentomology.tamu.edu/ants/rasberry.html

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 10:33 PM, Julia Germany <germa...@aol.com> wrote:

At last weekend's TCMA meeting, Matt Turner gave a very interesting report
about the rapid spread of the Tawny Ant, formerly known as the Raspberry Ant,
after the man who identified them.  Had Matt not previously asked me to "like"
the Tawny Ant FB page, I would not have known what he was talking about and why
cavers should be concerned.  He has been monitoring them inside and outside of
Whirlpool Cave (Austin) as well as other caves in the area for a long time, and
they are starting to have serious effects on the caves and the crickets. The
current solution is an evil pesticide that will only cause more problems for
caves.

While watching the 10:00 pm Houston ABC local news tonight, they did a story
about these invasive ants.  It's worth the few minutes the story lasts to watch
and learn more:

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/consumer&id=9215910

For even more info, contact Matt Turner.  Sorry, I don't have his email address.

julia germany - Houston home owner who will vigilantly be on the look out for
these invasive ants in my potted plants, and around my yard!

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
"Evil" pesticide? "Toxic" is a bit more science-driven.

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 10:33 PM, Julia Germany <germa...@aol.com> wrote:

> At last weekend's TCMA meeting, Matt Turner gave a very interesting report
> about the rapid spread of the Tawny Ant, formerly known as the Raspberry
> Ant, after the man who identified them.  Had Matt not previously asked me
> to "like" the Tawny Ant FB page, I would not have known what he was talking
> about and why cavers should be concerned.  He has been monitoring them
> inside and outside of Whirlpool Cave (Austin) as well as other caves in the
> area for a long time, and they are starting to have serious effects on the
> caves and the crickets. The current solution is an evil pesticide that will
> only cause more problems for caves.
>
> While watching the 10:00 pm Houston ABC local news tonight, they did a
> story about these invasive ants.  It's worth the few minutes the story
> lasts to watch and learn more:
>
> http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/consumer&id=9215910
>
> For even more info, contact Matt Turner.  Sorry, I don't have his email
> address.
>
> julia germany - Houston home owner who will vigilantly be on the look out
> for these invasive ants in my potted plants, and around my yard!

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---

Ted,
I recommended to Julia that she try food grade diatomaceous earth: " in your
home you can use diatomaceous earth to kill ants among other insects. It's not
toxic to humans or pets, but it is to things like ants, weevils (they use it in
grain silos), fleas, silverfish, etc. It abrades the carapace and they "bleed"
to death. I use it at my doors and window sills along with ground cinnamon. I
also stir up ant hills and cover them with DE. Ants won't cross cinnamon and
they just flip over in DE turn their legs up to the sky and get little Xs in
their eyes." If anyone else is interested, I can recommend a website.
Louise
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 06:35:27 -0500
From: t.b.sam...@gmail.com
To: texascavers@texascavers.com
Ants

[...]

Hi All!

First, I apologize if you are unnecessarily receiving this email. It only
pertains to anyone who sent me emails with pictures, attachments or embedded
links.

If you are one those people, and my email bounced back, PLEASE RESEND the
information.  I recently upgraded the version of AOL I am using and for the
first time EVER with an upgrade, it made a ton of changes to my account, most
specifically, deciding that I should not receive the above described emails.
ARGH.

Many of you have contacted me to let me know you were having trouble, so please
resend the information.  I just tested out my revised settings by sending every
variety of email that has been rejected recently from my biz account, and
finally, with ease and speed, I received all of these emails.

Looking forward to reading the things I missed.

Thanks in advance for resending.  And to those who found this an unnecessary
email, I apologize again. Be grateful for the delete key :)

julia

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
All i have to say is... Do people *still* use AOL?!!!

-Stefan
[...]

-- IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are
medium.  Thank you.

ARM Limited, Registered office 110 Fulbourn Road, Cambridge CB1 9NJ, Registered
in England & Wales, Company No:  2557590
ARM Holdings plc, Registered office 110 Fulbourn Road, Cambridge CB1 9NJ,
Registered in England & Wales, Company No:  2548782

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I know! It's really surprising, but they are still around. It says right there
on their MySpace page.

- Fofo

On 24/08/2013, at 00:04, Stefan Creaser <stefan.crea...@arm.com> wrote:

> All i have to say is... Do people *still* use AOL?!!!
>
> -Stefan

Actually, as a geek and someone who works with computers a lot, I've been
recommending people to AOL for a few years now.  That company has been a
joke for quite a while, but, they are actually doing a good thing these
days.

Now, before you laugh, let me explain.

Most people don't have the knowledge necessary to keep their computer in
working order, how to get rid of malware, viruses, spyware, trojans, etc.
 Most people have no clue what those are.  There are a LOT of products out
there that claim they can get rid of all of them, and most of them don't
work very well or not at all.  Some even add more to your computer.

Aol's software protects you from all of that, and it does a fairly good job
of it.

That's why I've been recommending AOL to people who don't know how to take
care of their own computer.

I recommend Mac's for the same reason.

On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 at 6:30 AM, Fofo <f...@gzluna.com> wrote:

> I know! It's really surprising, but they are still around. It says right
> there on their MySpace page.
>
> - Fofo
>
> On 24/08/2013, at 00:04, Stefan Creaser <stefan.crea...@arm.com> wrote:
>
> > All i have to say is... Do people *still* use AOL?!!!
> >
> > -Stefan

Some of us still even use hotmail. It goes thru outlook, but the address still
works and it has a fierce junk mail filter.

> From: stefan.crea...@arm.com
> To: germa...@aol.com; Texascavers@texascavers.com
> Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 00:04:52 -0700
> Subject: RE: [Texascavers] Emails to Julia Germany the past couple of weeks
>
> All i have to say is... Do people *still* use AOL?!!!
>
> -Stefan

Something that's more amazing to me is that I was there when it happened.  I
was staying about two miles away in a Holiday Inn and never knew it until I
got back home and saw it on the news.  I was down from Fort Worth, working
for Gearhart Industries modifying some oilfield logging equipment at the
Lafayette Office.  There's a good chance if the disaster hadn't happened,
Gearhart would have performed the logging operations for that Texico well.

Hydrocarbons, Oil and Gas tend to settle at the top of salt domes so it's
very common to drill into the top of them.  Believe it or not, a lot of West
Texas wells are drilled into salt domes (not to mention the gulf coast).
It's also common to mine salt domes by flushing the salt out.  In a few
cases, the salt hasn't been replaced with water to fill the void causing
collapses.

Butch

From: "Louise Power" <power_lou...@hotmail.com>

in your home you can use diatomaceous earth to kill ants among other insects.
It's not toxic to humans or pets, but it is to things like ants, weevils (they
use it in grain silos), fleas, silverfish, etc. It abrades the carapace and
they "bleed" to death. I use it at my doors and window sills along with ground
cinnamon. I also stir up ant hills and cover them with DE. Ants won't cross
cinnamon and they just flip over in DE turn their legs up to the sky and get
little Xs in their eyes." If anyone else is interested, I can recommend a
website.

Louise

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hi DD,
I've never used boric acid Xtals. Is it safe to use around pets? I've found
something that is safe and works for me, so I'm sticking with it. Thanks for
the recommendation, however.
Louise

Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 18:33:54 +0000
From: dirt...@comcast.net
To: power_lou...@hotmail.com
CC: t.b.sam...@gmail.com; texascavers@texascavers.com
Subject: [Texascavers] Re:Carapace failure

From: "Louise Power" <power_lou...@hotmail.com>

 in your home you can use diatomaceous earth to kill ants among other insects.
It's not toxic to humans or pets, but it is to things like ants, weevils (they
use it in grain silos), fleas, silverfish, etc. It abrades the carapace and
they "bleed" to death. I use it at my doors and window sills along with ground
cinnamon. I also stir up ant hills and cover them with DE. Ants won't cross
cinnamon and they just flip over in DE turn their legs up to the sky and get
little Xs in their eyes." If anyone else is interested, I can recommend a
website.
Louise

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
3-1/2 week update (24 Aug 2013). Last Wednesday made 3 weeks since I fell.
For the most part there was not much pain after the first week--which
included, of course, some high-powered prescription drugs, none of which I
liked very much for their many negative side effects. By the time 3 weeks
had passed I'd abandoned the scripts and was just taking OTC 200mg
ibuprofen. By Wednesday last I'd also abandoned those, as well, except I
took one at bedtime last night on account of being tired after futzing
around most of the day and helping Galen with his bumper project--mostly
doing design work. I still can't lay on my side without getting the feeling
I'm overstressing something that's not quite ready to be stressed so I
sleep on my back in the hospital bed adjusted with the head end a bit
elevated. I normally never sleep on my back--except when taking a nap on
the couch and want to wake up soon. Last Monday I walked 6 blocks to the
CVS and back and Wednesday hiked about a half mile from Sao Paulo cafe to
the Grotto (cave club) meeting and then back again after the meeting to the
Posse for a cold beer, the first alcohol of any kind I'd drunk since the
fall. Yesterday I had a Ranger beer and hardly noticed it. Also, last
Wednesday I got Galen to cut off the skraggly-ass hair I'd been growing
since the 2012 NSS Convention. The last few days I've had but very little
sensitivity to any kind of stress or movement. I can tell the ribs are
still weak but they seem to be mending beyond my expectations. Maybe I'll
be ready to get back to physical labor in 2 more weeks.

--Ediger

--- End Message ---