Ah yes, I definitely see a trend. The earth is trying to heal itself by getting
rid of all the cars. I foresee another sinkhole in the street in front of this
guy's house where the tunnel goes.

From: ca...@caver.net
To: texascavers@texascavers.com
CC: s...@caver.net
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2013 23:17:02 -0500
Subject: [Texascavers]  Possible sinkhole / tunnel

>From Jacqui Thomas
 Lubbock.

LUBBOCK,
TX (KCBD) -
KCBD
11 in Lubbock

mystery tunnel is creating quite a buzz in a north Lubbock neighborhood.
Lee
Smithwick discovered it on his property this week, when part of his yard
collapsed.
"We
were watering the yard and we came out and the whole sprinkler system and
everything sank," Smithwick said.
Smithwick
says he thought it was a sinkhole, but then he saw railroad ties.
He
alerted fire and police departments and upon further examination, they
discovered it was a hidden tunnel, braced with railroad ties.
Apparently
one broke, causing the collapse.
Now
the question is, who built it?
Smithwick
says local historians have come out to see the tunnel for themselves.
"First
they thought it might be a bunker, but it's definitely a tunnel. Nobody knows
who built it or why they would build it. They're thinking maybe it's associated
with the railroad back in 1909, but you're looking at an underground tunnel for
100 years."
Smithwick
says they've drilled a few holes in the ground, and it appears the tunnel runs
underneath the road in front of his house.
He
says city inspectors have also come out, and they're meeting Thursday to figure
out if they need take action.
The
area has been marked off with caution tape.
We'll
continue to follow this story online and on the air at KCBD NewsChannel 11.

Lubbock
man discovers mystery tunnel under his house - KCBD NewsChannel 11
Lubbock

Jacqui