I was driving in northeast Houston today, ( which is an area of town a
tourist should avoid ), and the old US Hwy 59, is now marked I-69 north of
Loop 610, at least to the northern edge of Harris County.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_69

While this is currently totally irrelevant, east Texas cavers will someday
( in 10 years ? )
take I-69 to go caving in Arkansas, Indiana, or to Bustamante, N.L., Mexico.

The last time I was south of Houston on Hwy. 59, the signs still read
"Future I-69"

I am not aware of any ongoing highway construction anywhere along this
route.

I have not been to Laredo in a year, but I bet very soon, you will see
signage or new roads
related to Interstate 69.

David Locklear

Ref: