Here's an idea.  I like having our Spring and Fall Conventions
documented in the Texas Caver.  However, they are too big and have too
much going on for any single person to write a report.

How about we have a "Remembering TSA Spring Convention 2012" section
where people write a few short paragraphs about their favorite parts?
It would be nice to hear different perspectives of the event and hear
about other parts that we didn't get to attend, but this way it doesn't
have to be the burden of a full report, just what you remember or liked
the most.

And so it's not just lip service, below is my submission.  Not everyone
has to write one this long, although I'm sure Mark wouldn't mind if you
did.  And I just posted here as an example-if we want to do this, we
should probably submit them directly to Mark Alman at
texascav...@yahoo.com instead of CaveTex.  However, maybe Mark can post
updates as to who has submitted to prod those who haven't yet.  Or even
better, get a list of attendees and split it into naughty/nice
categories of who haven't submitted and those who have.  (Just trying to
help, Mark.)

Consensus people?  Is this something you want?  And if so, say yes, then
write something!

--Bennett

I got to Cascade Caverns for the TSA Spring Convention 2012 on Friday
evening.  Unfortunately, Marvin Miller's annoying little girls found us
almost immediately and whisked my sweet little son away to corrupt him.
I found a good camping spot close enough to the main buildings to
stumble back to it at night but far enough away to not be too bothered
by the noise from the impending party.

I made rounds Friday night and saw many caving buddies from around the
state, partook from the keg of fine Shiner Bock, and unfortunately found
Gregg Williams (a.k.a., Big Daddy Crunkshine) at which point my memory
becomes a bit hazy.  I do remember that Tom Rogers, who has a habit of
stepping in cactus while wearing inadequate shoes or even no shoes, set
his camp by the only cactus on the property.

I awoke late the next morning, heard something about breakfast that I
missed, and then hopped in the car with my son to drive to the Geneva
School to see the presentations.  Ellie Watson, who was coordinating the
weekend activities, was already stressed.  Turns out the water was off
and we had no bathroom facilities there.  I didn't need to go at that
time, but there was much griping from people who did.

I hung a few photos in the photo salon, including "Two Moons over
Punkin" to get a little exposure for the cave calendar (pun intended).
Next, I checked out the vendors out front.  Gonzo Guano Gear didn't
bring a massive PEP Bag (probably because I'm the only one foolish
enough to buy a cave pack that big).  No one at the TCMA booth could
tell me if the Robber Baron t-shirts were the old map or the newer one
(I don't want some outdated map on my t-shirt when I get lost...I mean
"explore").  At least Lisa Miller had some nice scented oils at her
booth.

Presentations are the highlight of the Spring Convention for me, but
unfortunately Ellie assigned me the task of shooting the group photo.
In between that and keeping an eye on Marvin's girls so they didn't do
something like teach my son to light a cigarette, I didn't get to see
all the presentations I wanted.  I missed a supposedly great surveying
presentation by Peter Sprouse.  Maybe he can do a repeat at a Bexar
Grotto meeting (expect a call).  However, I did catch one that was far
too hydrologically scientific for me, and Ellie's presentation on
Logan's (you did great, girl!), the last bit of Allan Cobb's caving in
Asia, and Travis Scott's Porcupine Grotto presentation with some great
photos.  The most significant to me was Travis' comparison of an old
photo and a recent photo of the same location/perspective that showed
the damage to a wall of formations after extremely limited traffic.  A
clear visual to emphasize why we have to tread so lightly in caves.

Water to the building was restored at some point, and there was much
rejoicing.

After presentations, I headed back to Cascade Caverns to help with
supper.  OK, I didn't really help much because I had to keep my son from
being corrupted by the plethora of bad kids there now, like Audrey
Steele's Sophie, the Scott's Harper, the Mitchell's Kayla, and worst of
all, the now-short-haired Journey (you can never trust a short hair).

After supper, we had announcements, award presentations for the photo
and map salons, and the long-awaited TCMA auction.  Shiner donated two
awesome gift boxes of Shiner swag--I wanted one but bids quickly soared
higher than I was willing to pay.  Frankly, I was more interested in my
own donation, "Two Moons over Punkin".  I waited and waited but it never
went up for bid-everything around it did, like the single car rack bar
whose mate sold last year, books from prolific cave author and shameless
self-promoter Bill Steele, Saj Zappitello's Purple People Eater stuffed
doll, which Matt submitted trying to get rid of it but sadly for him the
purchaser returned it to Matt's lovely wife.  Meanwhile, my lowly photo
just sat there.  Turns out they were saving it for the grand finale at
which point Galen Falgout got up and gave me some great exposure for the
cave calendar (again, pun intended), announcing that I need models.
Then, my dinky little 8x10 photo sold for way more than I expected,
thanks to a bidding war by people who really like Galen's butt.

Festivities continued, including lots of fire dancers, starting with
Angela Edwards scantily clad in a sparkly outfit that got caught up in
one of her fireball's chains.  Immediately a dozen guys leap to her
rescue.  Yes, she's cute-maybe you'll see more of her in the upcoming
cave calendar.  Order now!  The festivities continued with loud music
and more fire dancing, but seemed to end relatively soon for a caver
party.  By about 1am, there were only a handful of us left, and sadly by
3am everyone was in bed.  Obviously this new generation of cavers can't
party like the old Kirkwood gang.

Sunday morning, most of the kids did a tour in Cascade Caverns while the
adults returned the campground's chaos to order.  Some people planned
for a swim in the Guadalupe River that afternoon on the way home.  I got
a few model offers (only a few! I need more!).  Children were rounded
up, followed by the usual hugs and farewells as friends returned to
their respective corners of the great Republic of Texas.

That's how I remember things.

--Bennett Lee

P.S. -- Did I mention I need models and photos for the cave calendar?