Y'all should read Charles Bowden.  a former running buddy of Ed Abbey.
Scary stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Bowden

And see the flick  MISS BALA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Bala

I can walk to a curandera/botanica in 10 minutes from where I live in KCMO
and get sanctified oil from the patron Saint of the Sinaloa
Narcotraficantes, Jesus Malverde. My friends here in KC from Sinaloa,
Nayarit, Jalisco, and Michoacan say this is seriously bad juju.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malverde

There's some great banda music available with this. None of that pinche
reggaeton, which is favored by los chilangos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2kcyvrKj9Y&feature=related