Don,

Also the most expensive.

We looked at LED when lighting the South Cavern at Natural Bridge. We felt
that it's not quite there yet, and at between $60 to $120 per bulb, it
simply was not feasible. What we went with is a 12-volt system which does
use less power to illuminate the cavern. We are still looking at them as it
seems each year the costs keep coming down. Plus there are some incredible
systems which would give us interpretive tools which simply haven't existed
until now. And going with a full LED system would allow you to run the
entire lighting system off of solar panels, thus taking a commercial tour
off the grid, so to speak. This is also something we are watching.

My experience with halogen is that yes, they burn hot, but if you take the
time to design the overall system, your lights are only on when people are
actually in a given room or passage and then turned off upon leaving. We
also purposefully chose to keep much of the cavern dark. But again, this is
a choice made by the installers/owners/operators. We no longer feel it
necessary to light up every blessed square inch of cave. If we could go
back and relight the North Caverns (and we intend to do so at some point),
we would likely remove a significant portion of the ambient light. Doing so
is better for the cavern, and we feel it also produces a better experience
for the guest. We haven't seen any issues arise with the halogens in the
South Cavern. The one drawback with that heat is that calcite will deposit
quickly on the lenses of the fixtures. If not maintained, the quality of
light from the fixture deteriorates. The fixtures even survived full
submersion when part of the cave filled with water back in 2007.

I feel that the color of the light gets in to a subjective argument. We
feel that halogen actually produces a better color for Natural Bridge
over incandescent, and much better than compact fluorescent. To my eye,
halogen is more white, thus I feel it produces as "neutral" a light as
possible, if that makes sense. But again, this also goes to what you are
attempting to illuminate. The color of the light created by a given bulb
can actually enhance a cave scene, depending on the natural colors present
within the rock. That's one interesting thing about LED bulbs is that
some manufacturers will let us create a bulb with different numbers of
blue/white/yellow/red LEDs.  Personally, I tend to shy away from doing so
as it's not too many steps away from full-on tecno-color-rama of red, blue,
purple, and green lights found in some show caves. And that just hurts my
feelings, along with my eyes.

Brian Vauter
Natural Bridge Caverns