texascavers Digest 20 Mar 2012 03:40:12 -0000 Issue 1517

Topics (messages 19730 through 19735):

Hawaii caves
        19730 by: Benjamin Starr

Re: Phantom Springs Cave
        19731 by: Mark Minton

Austin cave tour points to groundwater use
        19732 by: Jim Kennedy

Felix Baumgartner in Croatia
        19733 by: Lee H. Skinner

Re: [SWR] Felix Baumgartner in Croatia
        19734 by: Lee H. Skinner

Vertical Equipment Show and Tell @ TSA Spring Convention (Brown Bag Lunch)
        19735 by: David Ochel

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
A thousand apologies, I haven't participated in this forum (or in the Texas
caving community at large) in almost a decade.  That doesn't mean I've
forgotten!  My life got busy with TV stuff.

I just returned from one of many recent trips to the Big Island of Hawaii
(where I'm trying to move) and I compiled this little video that shows some
of the highlights of the region.  If anyone wants to see some fairly rare
solution lavasicles (yes, you read that right!), wants a peek into a
section of Kazumura (forgive me if my statistics are off), or would like to
check out some steam caves, as well as other generally interesting things
(waterfalls, volcanoes, snowball fights in the tropics, etc.), please enjoy.

I've been doing more international caving than domestic caving recently,
but I dream of the day when I get back back underground in my home state...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvFzhc4iXrs

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- >Goodenough Springs is the deepest explored cave in the United States, reaching 515 feet,

        Say what?  They must mean deepest _underwater_ cave.

Mark

At 02:19 PM 3/13/2012, Lee H. Skinner wrote:
New story on KBTX.com:

http://tinyurl.com/6syqdx8

Lee Skinner

Please reply to mmin...@caver.net
Permanent email address is mmin...@illinoisalumni.org
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---

Austin cave tour points to groundwater use
By BENJAMIN WERMUND Austin American-Statesman

AUSTIN - Nestled in a three-lot patch of land in the middle of the Avery Ranch
neighborhood is a concrete and metal hatch. It's the entrance and only sign of
an ancient, dripping cave of glistening caramel-colored, calcite-covered
limestone beneath.
Hundreds of similar karst caverns - about 750 in Williamson County alone -
honeycomb the Central Texas landscape. Water from the ground above seeps
through the soil, drips down the walls of the caves and into the Edwards
Aquifer. It then empties through springs back into creeks and streams on the
surface.
"It's all connected," said Mike Walsh, president of the Texas Cave Conservancy,
which owns the Avery Ranch land that covers the cave.
Avery Ranch Cave feeds water to springs that are home to the Jollyville
salamander - a candidate for the endangered species list and a source of
tension between Williamson County officials, federal officials and
environmental groups.
One such spring nearby is home to a "healthy" population of the critters, an
official said Tuesday.
Walsh and other officials were in far Northwest Austin at the cave Tuesday as
part of a city-sponsored event promoting Groundwater Awareness Week.

http://www.news-journal.com/news/state/austin-cave-tour-points-to-groundwater-use/article_33b6707e-4542-590a-830a-20ef57bd79e3.html

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- "He's also leapt face-first into a pitch-dark, 620-foot-deep cave in Croatia � his most dangerous feat yet, he says, but soon to be outdone."

http://tinyurl.com/7gdrxe5

Does anyone know anything about this?? - Lee

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Ken,

Yes, but I was particularly asking about the cave diving stunt. Terry Holsinger directed me to this video of 2004 in Marmet Cave in Velebit National Parc, Croatia (623 feet deep) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-VXvA5hSjs

Regards,
Lee

Lee,

He is going to attempt to make a supersonic sky dive. He is operating out of Roswell and has already made one "test" jump from 70,000 feet. His next test will be from 90,000 then he is going for the big one at 120,000 feet. Makes the ascent in a helium balloon and has to wear a full pressure suit. Guy is certifiably nuts as far as I am concerned.

ken

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - It's about dancing in the rain.

> Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 13:12:17 -0600
> From: skin...@thuntek.net
> To: s...@caver.net; texascavers@texascavers.com
> Subject: [SWR] Felix Baumgartner in Croatia
>
> "He's also leapt face-first into a pitch-dark, 620-foot-deep cave in
> Croatia � his most dangerous feat yet, he says, but soon to be outdone."
>
> http://tinyurl.com/7gdrxe5
>
> Does anyone know anything about this?? - Lee

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Heya,

This year's format of the vertical workshop at the TSA Spring Convention
will be a little different from last year's: Bring your most favorite,
weird, or useful/useless piece of vertical gear. Tell us all about it.
We'll have the vertical shaft in the cave entrance rigged to play with it.

Which is where we'll meet. During lunch break, i.e., after the group
photo shoot until the beginning of the afternoon talks, or in other
words, noonish 'til 1:30-ish. On Saturday, obviously. Plan on bringing a
sandwich or some such for lunch. (There aren't any eateries in the
immediate vicinity.)

This is *not* a beginner introduction to vertical caving. Every
interested caver is welcome, but only those who are already proficient
on rope will be let close to the shaft. ;-)

Cheers,
David

--- End Message ---